Sabrina Petraglia felt very afraid in her house in Dubai, where she lives with her family. On Instagram, the artist revealed that a window had fallen in the crib of Leo, 9 months old, her youngest son. The local incident that Sabrina Petraglia reported on social networks was serious.
“I ran into a homework shift yesterday. I heard a sound and when I got to Leo’s room, the window, a huge thick glass window, fell on the bed. It collapsed and I was in despair! Besides Leo, Sabrina too is the mother of Gail and Maya, 3.
According to Sabrina, the incident could have happened, and even been repeated, in any room in her house. “The whole house had this window and everyone was a little wobbly,” she explained. “It could have been a very serious accident,” she said.
In order not to go through the horror again, the artist had to move to a hotel. “The architect who helped me decorate the house asked me to spend two days away so he could repair all the windows,” she warned.
Sabrina Petraglia warns of the danger of things falling into cribs
Although the domestic accident involving Sabrina Petraglia’s baby is not uncommon, other things can present risks. For example, mobile phones. Thus, its components should not be small, thus avoiding the risk of their separation. So she remembers to secure it firmly to the ceiling to prevent it from accidentally falling off.
In addition to the risk of falls, other domestic accidents can occur in the crib. According to data from the Ministry of Health, suffocation is the leading cause of death in children under one year of age. Thus, the ideal is to avoid stuffed animals and other things in the crib, such as pillows, for example.
Likewise, the knight is another accessory that, because it collects a lot of dust, should only be used where there is a real need. In such cases, it should be washed every week. Finally, the sheets or blankets should not come loose from the mattress and/or cover the child’s arms. It is also important not to use pillows or cushions and not to place padded protectors on the sides of the crib.
After all, what are the tips for keeping a safe home?
- Use safety nets on all windows, balconies and terraces in houses and apartments, as any height can cause death.
- Also, put removable gates on the stairs, both at the bottom and at the top. For higher steps, use the children’s playground.
- Put protectors on the corners of the tables, the ones above and the ones in the middle.
- Remove jewelry that can break or is too heavy.
- Put non-slip pads on the mat.
- Remove electrical cords that could trip a child.
- Use tampon protectors.
- Be careful with shelves that are not attached to the wall. It is because children love to climb and make a ladder out of bookshelves.
- Drawers that store crockery and cutlery, as well as kitchen furniture, must be tightly closed. Also use safety locks for drawers and cabinets that open easily.
- Take care of slippery floors, especially in the bathroom, kitchen and service area, for example.
- Don’t keep stools in the bathroom or kitchen, as they make it easier for a child to reach things, not to mention the risk of falls.
- Use appropriate protectors on bathroom toilets. Children love to play with water.
- Be careful with buckets of water in the service area. Believe me: there are several cases of drowning with a small amount of water.
- Keep beauty, cleaning and hygiene products (including attractive perfume bottles) out of the reach of children. Keep in mind that these products are usually colored and perfumed, so they present a high risk of poisoning.
- Store medicines in high places, preferably under lock and key. In Brazil, drugs are one of the main causes of home poisoning.